Readers respond to the Guardian’s call for a caring capitalism
When I started as an inner-city priest in Elephant and Castle in 1973, belief in social justice abounded, together with hope and confidence in community work. As vicar of Tottenham in the 80s, the years preceding the Broadwater Farm riots, I watched the erosion of community wellbeing with mounting horror and was surprised the riots didn’t come earlier. In myriad ways since 2010, the Guardian, a lonely beacon of light and hope, has tracked daily the downward spiral to the destitution, homelessness, child poverty and collapse of social care that is the quagmire of Westminster governed England today. Your editorial on caring capitalism (20 January) is no exception.
Now it’s time to cut the tosh. I don’t say put all the sophisticated analyses on the side of the plate. But let’s focus on how simple it is: human beings, like plants, need the water and warmth of love to thrive, even to survive. This includes what I’ll call social love. Millions are not receiving it. A generous view of shared humanity is fundamental to the wellbeing of everyone, including the rich. I want it back.
Your weekly briefing on the UK economy
Interesting conversation with Joel Greenblatt on the Fundamentals of Value Investing. He is the author of the book You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits. Video Segments: 0:00 Introduction 1:25 How did you learn about Value investing? 6:54 Looking for easy gains 8:45 Core elements of…
The post Joel Greenblatt: Fundamentals of Value Investing appeared first on The Big Picture.
This is the time to re-engage with Zimbabwe, but step by step
Your FT guide to this week’s big events
Theresa May says the government will stamp out abuses of workers’ pensions in failing companies.
Rising oil prices have frequently spelt the end of global economic upswings but not this time
Will he reassure his audience that the US believes in strong global institutions?
As global economy booms, crises in social, environmental and political landscape abound
There are more beautiful towns in Switzerland than Davos but the high alps that ring the valley in which it sits are picture-postcard perfect, especially when the rising sun kisses the mountain tops at dawn. But appearances can be deceptive and the snow defences that girdle the slopes are a reminder that this is avalanche country, stunning yet fragile.
This is something members of the 1% would do well to remember as they gather in for the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum this week.
Davos is like a giant gated community where the 1% can pretend that they care about the other 99%